Next Step Learning Center offers programs for English-speaking women and men age 17 and older. There is no tuition or fee.
This program serves youth and adults (age 17 and above) who want to improve basic reading skills, or who are not quite academically ready for GED material. Following an initial assessment, each person's program and schedule are individually designed and may include one or all of the following:
- One-on-one tutoring provided by a pool of volunteer tutors
- Small group or one-on-one reading instruction
- Computer assisted learning
- Supervised independent study
Next Step Learning Center provides GED preparation and counseling. The actual GED exam must be taken at a public school adult education testing site. Our staff has referral information for these sites.
Individuals whose initial assessment indicates readiness to begin direct preparation for the GED exams meet with staff to plan a program that best meets their needs. It includes one or more of these components:
- One-on-one tutoring in GED subject areas
- Small group instruction in specific GED subject areas
- Computer-assisted independent study in GED subject areas
- Official GED practice exams
- Meetings to assess progress and readiness for GED exams
- Referrals to GED testing sites
This program continues to build a college-going culture among our Next Step participants and graduates. Services are focused on making postsecondary education accessible to first-generation college students and providing support to help them enroll and succeed in college. The program includes:
- Conferences with the College Transition staff person
- Assistance with understanding enrollment and financial aid programs, forms, and processes
- Field trips to community colleges
- On-site college information sessions
- Individual and small group support activities for college-going Next Step students
- An ACCESS Scholarship Program to assist college-enrolled students with the purchase of books and other needed supplies.
This newest of Next Step's programs is designed to offer our students real pathways to employment. Services include:
- Assistance with resume development
- Assistance with online job applications
- Interview practice
- Information about current job opportunities
- Referrals to employment training programs
- Job shadow opportunities.