Next Step Learning Center offers programs for English-speaking women and men age 17 and older. There is no tuition or fee.
This program serves youth and adults (age 17 and above) who want to improve basic reading skills, or who are not quite academically ready for High School Equivalency material. Following an initial assessment, each person’s program and schedule are individually designed and may include one or all of the following:
- One-on-one tutoring provided by a pool of volunteer tutors
- Small group or one-on-one reading instruction
- Computer assisted learning
- Supervised independent study
High School Equivalency
Next Step Learning Center provides High School Equivalency (HSE) preparation and counseling. The actual HSE must be taken at a certified training center. Our staff has referral information for these sites.
Individuals whose initial assessment indicates readiness to begin direct preparation for the HSE meet with staff to plan a program that best meets their needs. It includes one or more of these components:
- One-on-one tutoring in HSE subject areas
- Small group instruction in specific HSE subject areas
- Computer-assisted independent study in HSE subject areas
- Official HSE practice exams
- Meetings to assess progress and readiness for HSE exams
- Referrals to certified testing sites
This program continues to build a college-going culture among our Next Step participants and graduates. Services are focused on making postsecondary education accessible to first-generation college students and providing support to help them enroll and succeed in college. The program includes:
- Conferences with the College Transition Coordinator
- Assistance with understanding enrollment and financial aid programs, forms, and processes
- Field trips to community colleges
- On-site college information sessions
- Individual and small group support activities for college-going Next Step students
- An ACCESS Scholarship Program to assist college-enrolled students with the purchase of books and other needed supplies.
- Annual celebrations of student achievement
This newest of Next Step’s programs is designed to offer our students real pathways to employment. Services include:
- Assistance with resume development
- Assistance with online job applications
- Interview practice
- Information about current job opportunities
- Referrals to employment training programs
- Job shadow opportunities.