How To Get Involved
Become a Partner in Our Mission of Literacy for Oakland Families
- Make a tax-deductible donation right now through our secure on-line donation service, or send a check to Next Step Learning Center.
- Designate Next Step Learning Center to receive your United Way contribution at work.
- Recommend Next Step to people and organizations who like to contribute to programs that make a difference.
- Invite us to come and speak about Next Step to groups and organizations you belong to.
Become a Volunteer Tutor
Volunteers are partnered with a person 17 years or older to work one-on-one in the areas of reading, math or writing, depending on the volunteer’s areas of interest and expertise. For more information on volunteering with Next Step, please click here to complete and submit our online volunteer form.
- The opportunity to make a profound difference in someone’s life and to open up the possibility of a better future for that person and his/her children.
- The joys of seeing someone grow in skills and self-confidence.
- The interaction with other committed volunteers and staff.
- Volunteers normally contribute two hours per week to work with an assigned participant, but we can be flexible to accommodate your schedule.
- We ask you to notify us if you are unable to come for your scheduled tutoring time for personal or professional reasons.
Materials will be provided for you and the participant you will be tutoring. The person’s reading or math level will have already been assessed and a general program will have been planned for you. Materials are designed for use with adults – high interest, but geared to various levels of reading proficiency. You will have the answers!
Next Step Learning Center is located on the corner of West Grand Avenue and Curtis Street – three blocks west of San Pablo Avenue. Street parking is available. Directions.
Please complete and submit our general inquiry form below: